Eat with Integrity

Eat consciously - Don't eat an accident * Create more and better food choices

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Nuka and Narazuke Pickles

Photo from kyotofoodie

I have been reading about nuka pickles, which is a Japanese method of fermenting with rice bran powder, water, and salt.

It looks like so much fun! Like playing with mud, but you can actually eat the vegetables after fermentation!

Unfortunately, with my schedule, I can’t make the time to turn the pot twice a day. One more reason to live with another fermentator as collaborator…

But the more I learn about the possibilities of fermentation and pickling, the more amazed I am. For example, I just learned about narazuke, an alcoholic pickle made in Japan! After sitting in sake lees for 1-3 years, I guess the vegetables can’t help it.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home