Eat with Integrity

Eat consciously - Don't eat an accident * Create more and better food choices

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Fermenting Soybeans


I made my own tempeh again this past weekend! Since making it is a 2-3 day affair, it gave my weekend a nice rhythm.

Friday night: soak the soybeans
Upon waking Saturday morning: remove soybean skins + cut up the beans into smaller pieces
Saturday morning: cook the soybeans while making brunch
Saturday early afternoon: spread almost fully-cooked soybeans on baking sheet double lined with flat-woven towels to dry them
Saturday early evening: after mixing with some apple cider vinegar and powdered tempeh spores, spread the skin dry beans into baking dishes, then pop into oven with only the light on
Sunday morning: check to make sure some white mold is evident
Sunday late afternoon/early evening: remove tempeh from incubator when solid



Cut into pieces to be wrapped in plastic wrap to freeze for later consumption.


The first time I made tempeh, I had to incubate for 36 hours or so. And everything turned black! At least on the side that was exposed to the air.

Last night, I had my first taste from my second batch. It was more firm than my first batch, and I didn't cut the soybeans as much, so I could taste each individual bean. For the first time, I baked it in the oven and then added it to my Thai-ish whole-grain noodle dish, which I improvised with lots of caramelized onions, half a reconstituted ancho chile, some broccoli florets, one tomato, three mushrooms, soy sauce, peanut butter, homemade mango chutney with sesame oil drizzled on top. Delicious!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger NourishedKitchen.com said...

This is so, so cool! I'd love to make my own tempeh! Where did you end up finding the tempeh spores? We don't eat a lot of soy, but I do like tempeh a lot.

May 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home