Eat with Integrity

Eat consciously - Don't eat an accident * Create more and better food choices

Monday, April 20, 2009

Vegan Almond Mayonnaise with Roasted Asparagus and Leftover Pasta



The magical world of almonds has opened my eyes to vegan food without processed soy products!

After tasting delicious raw vegan almond mayonnaise at Rohvolution a few weekends ago, I set out to find a recipe to make my own raw vegan almond mayonnaise. I found the magical one on page 35 in the Healthy Living Cookbook - Excellent Vegan Recipes from HerbalLegacy.com, which they call "Almonnaise--a Perfectly Mucusless blender Mayonnaise".

I adapted their recipe somewhat to my taste, because I like stronger flavors and wanted something more like aioli.

Blend, in the following order:

1/2 cup whole raw almonds soaked in water for 24 hours
1/2 cup water
1 tsp nutritional yeast
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt or kelp
1-1.25 cups olive oil
5 Tbs. lemon juice

Keep up to 10 days in the refrigerator, tightly sealed.


Since asparagus is in season, I decided to pair the creamy, tart mayonnaise with the flavor that can only be described as asparagus--unless you want to call it "pee-ish". Which is not so appetizing...

I roasted a few asparagus stalks at 240 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes after tossing them with some oil and salt. These are from Morocco as Germany's aren't ready yet; at least, I haven't seen them at market.

I paired the asparagus and dressing with some left-over whole-grain pasta from last night, and the raw vegan almond mayonnaise was pretty good with the pasta too--a creamy lemon sauce.

After I took the photo, I added some roasted black sesame seeds for contrasting color and smell. Yum yum yum. I really can't wait to make more!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home