Eat with Integrity

Eat consciously - Don't eat an accident * Create more and better food choices

Friday, May 22, 2009

In preparation for 14 days of Sugar Freedom


After two weeks of avoiding dairy, I will avoid white flour for two weeks. I think that if I can avoid pizza, I will be pretty ok with avoiding white flour. Then I will not eat white, refined sugar for two weeks.

But upon reading this article comparing the evils of fructose and glucose, I realized that I should study up on my sugars.

A recent study found that fructose is evil, at least compared to glucose in sweetened drinks. Stay away from sweetened drinks and processed, packaged foods.

The article recommended that we should stay away from sugar, especially sweetened drinks like sodas and processed, packaged foods, but for your sugar NEEDS, the best 3 sweeteners are:

1. The herb stevia (this is the best and safest sweetener, although illegal to use as a food additive, according to the FDA)
2. Organic cane sugar
3. Raw, organic honey

The Nourished Kitchen blogs advises that we stay away from white sugar, brown sugar, agave nectar, high fructose corn syrup and chemically-based artificial sweeteners and only use natural sweeteners like honey, date sugar, low-refined cane sugar, molasses, sorghum syrup, maple syrup and sugar, palm and coconut sugar, or green stevia.

In preparation of my two weeks of white sugar freedom, I will see how I can substitute these into my life, but I have no idea where to find this stuff in the US, much less in Germany...Good thing that my two weeks of sugar freedom starts in 2 and a half weeks!

Photo by Leeni!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home